"Peter" Weiping Shi, Professor
- 333K WERC
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Texas A&M University
- College Station, TX 77843-3128
- (979) 845-3820 (office)
- (979) 862-1645 (secretary)
- (979) 845-2630 (fax)
- Brief Bio:
- Prof. Shi received Ph.D. from
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1992.
He taught at
University of North Texas from 1992 to 2000,
and has been with Texas A&M University since 2000.
He was the founder and chairman of Pextra Corporation,
a start-up company in Electronic Design Automation (EDA).
Before Pextra, circuit designers have to use either fast but
inaccurate 2D extraction or accurate but slow 3D extraction.
Pextra developed world's fastest 3D extraction software PexRC,
which runs orders of magnitude faster than previous 3D extraction software.
In 2009, Pextra was acquired by
Mentor Graphics Corporation,
a leader in the EDA industry.
From 2009 to 2010, he was on leave from the university
to work as an engineering director at Mentor Graphics,
integrating PexRC into Mentor Graphics flow.
The resulting product, Calibre xACT3D,
sets a new standard in the industry
and has been adopted by numerous IC/MEMS
design companies and
Here is an interview
where he discussed technological advancements behind the software.
In fall of 2010, he returned to the university to share his experience
with the students.
He is a Fellow of IEEE.
- ELEN 248: Introduction to Digital System Design
- ELEN 350: Computer Architecture and Design
- ELEN 454: Introduction to VLSI Design
- ELEN 468: Advanced Logic Design
- ELEN 689: Layout Synthesis of VLSI Circuits
- ELEN 689: Modeling and Simulation of VLSI Circuits
- ELEN 691: My section numbers are 661 (spring and fall), 161 (summer session I), 261 (summer session II), and 361 (full summer).
- Dr. Shi's research interests are Electronic Design Automation (EDA),
Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) and design and analysis of algorithms.
His current projects include modeling, layout synthesis, and testing.
His research has been founded by
National Science Foundation,
Semiconductor Research Corporation,
- In the News:
- ECE Professor creates Entrepreneur Class and Engineering Excellence Fund